Monday, March 04, 2013

Outta My Mind On A Monday Moanin' (2)

Let's start out today with some thoughts and observations from the debut of last nights TV show "The Bible".

  • I thought the show was going to be epic. I was a bit disappointed

  • The special effects were a bit disappointing as well

  • After I got over the fact that this was a story book type of show, and there was not going to be any true meaning revealed, I found myself paying attention to the story. I realized that they left a few details out

  • An angel yelled out to Abraham before he was about to sacrifice his son, he didn't just appear on the mountain. Also, Abraham took two men with him as he made his way out to the mountain to prepare the sacrifice of his only son.

  • The Israelites walked across the Red Sea on DRY land, it's only stated like 3 times in the bible. I think God really wants us to understand it was DRY land, not the mud on the TV show. (CC DeMille got it so much better.......and that was over 50 years ago)

  • No mention of the golden calf at all. Weird because Moses broke the tablets and ended up having to go back up the mountain and get them from God a second time.

  • They did touch on Joshua being the one to finally lead the Israelites into the promised land, but they failed to show why it happened that way. Moses disobeyed God, and God punished him by not allowing him to make it to the promised land. However God did show Moses the promised land so that Moses would die knowing that they had made it and that God had kept his word.

  • The angels that appeared to Lot? What in the world was up with that? I didn't know they we're even supposed to be angels until after that entire scene was over. An Asian and and African as angels? I mean angels arent any race, I mean like they are angels. But I guess if your going to portray them as people, somehow you have to include it in the story that these are angels so we know. Imagine someone watching that who has no idea of that story.

  • What happened to Lot after the burning of the city of Sodom they did not show. Probably too graphic for "family" television, but it's in the bible if you want to look it up. (Yes I just said the bible might be too graphic for "family" television")

  • I pondered if maybe God didn't just use the plagues to convince Pharoah to let his people go, but also to SHOW the Israelites that indeed he IS God, and indeed he is going to set them free, so that they would believe.

  • And isn't it funny how God is only as real to us as the last miracle or experience we felt. Just like the Israelites thinking that God had brought them out of Egypt only to let them die at the banks of the Red Sea, sometimes we think that God just forgets about us and that he has left us hanging......................but in the end.................if we are patient.............and pay attention...........the Red Sea will open for us too.

  • I also was bummed that they didn't show the manna from heaven. God provided daily. He told them to only take enough for a day at a time, and for two days on Saturday. (I say Saturday to keep it simple, but the day before the sabbath, God gave food for two days because he didn't send the manna on the sabbath). It makes me think that God doesnt cook on Sundays.........

  • Just like us regular folks of today, some of the Israelites would gather up more food than they needed...........and what happened to it? It spoiled, and stunk up the whole camp.

  • Maybe we don't need savings accounts, and financial advisors, maybe we really should live day to day and learn to truly trust God. I bet we'd see more miracles, because I know we'd all learn to have more faith.

  • I think the Egyptians felt that the water in the Red Sea had stayed back long enough that it was an act of mother nature, and it was OK that they tried to cross too, about that time God reminded them that he did it.  I think we often forget that "mother nature" is God's hands at work.

  • Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that Ihsmael and Hagar left Abraham and went to Egypt? The same Egypt that years later would enslave the Israelites (Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob's descendants) for 400 years. There's a lesson there, I will be studying it.

  • One lesson to learn, when God tells you he's gonna do something, don't force the issue. (see: Abraham and Sara agreeing that Abraham should just have a son with the maid since Sara was getting old and they were tired of waiting).

Ok, so today's blog ended up being mostly about the TV show "The Bible" from last night, but then again I did watch the show, it got me thinking, and I think someone needed to fill in the blanks. Thanks for reading, now go read Genesis. You will be amazed at how much information is in that book. History, life lessons, and answers to so many questions which science has never been able to disprove.

dP

No comments: