Thursday, February 21, 2013

You aint' nothin without love......

God has been speaking to me about love lately.

Like love your enemies, love strangers, love when your crabby, and love when your just not feeling it.

That all sounds so cliche, but I've been thinking about it in a different light lately. We all like to think that we love. But then again we all have our ego's that protect us from the truth about ourselves. When is the last time I smiled at someone just because? When is the last time I gave money to a homeless guy on the street, even if I felt they we're going to use it on alcohol or drugs? It's not my place to judge what they do with the money, or justify not giving it to them because they might use it for bad, it is my responsibility to love. How bout handing them a 5 spot and then asking them if I could pray for them? A stranger? Right there on the street...........a guy that smells and is dirty? Hand him a 5 spot (or more) and then ask him if I can pray for him? Me? I should do that? Well in a short answer..........YES.

Isn't that what we are commanded to do? Isn't that the only thing Jesus said we should worry about? Loving others. Feeding the poor and the hungry.........

I spend more on cable TV than I give to homeless charities. I spend more on cable TV than I give to hungry people.

As members of the club USA we have it pretty nice. Even our minimum wage workers make more money than most do in third world countries. Times are tough all over, that is a true statement, however loving doesn't cost a dime. I've been feeling like I want to do more for God, when in reality anything is more than what I'm currently doing.

I've been learning to be nicer to people, this is a tougher thing to do than some would imagine. I grew up in the cold hard life of Detroit Michigan, where people just aren't typically very nice and if they are you wonder what they are up to. It's not just the living in the south thing, it's a heaviness that has been upon my heart lately that I should love more. Smile to strangers, talk to strangers (very tough for me, as I'm quite a private person). Give more to those that need, and just love. Not preach, not argue, not question.....................just love.

I'm inviting anyone that may read this to do the same. If God is Love........(according to the bible), then when we love we share a piece of God with that person. Some take great pride in the number of souls that answer their altar calls, some take great pride in the songs they write and sing, some take great pride in the "work" they do for the church, but God said to love. Just love and he takes care of the rest.

What is it that most athiests say? Don't tell me or teach me that there is a god, SHOW ME! How do you show? You LOVE!

..........dP

(You can be a righteous rocker, or a holy roller, you can be most anything......but without love you are nothing, you are nothing without love) - Larry Norman

No comments: